As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, here is information on Canada visa requirements for Irish citizens. Please note that immigration policies can change, so it’s essential to verify the most up-to-date information on the official website of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or consult the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate for the latest requirements:
- Visa Exemption for Tourism and Short Visits: Irish citizens traveling to Canada for tourism, visiting family and friends, or attending business meetings do not typically require a traditional visa. Instead, they can visit Canada without a visa for stays of up to 6 months. However, you may be required to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) if you are flying to Canada.
- Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA): If you are an Irish citizen planning to fly to Canada, you will need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). The eTA is electronically linked to your passport and is typically valid for up to five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
- Eligibility for eTA: To be eligible for an eTA, you must have a valid Irish passport, not be inadmissible to Canada, and not intend to work or study in Canada without the proper permits.
- Visa Requirement for Non-Air Travel: If you are an Irish citizen traveling to Canada by land (e.g., by car) or sea (e.g., by cruise), you generally do not need an eTA. The requirement for an eTA applies primarily to air travel.
- Visa for Other Purposes: If you plan to visit Canada for purposes other than tourism or short visits (e.g., for work, study, or an extended stay), you may need to apply for a traditional Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or another type of visa, depending on the purpose of your visit. The application process for a TRV involves submitting the required documents, attending an interview (if necessary), and paying the associated fees.
- Biometrics: Depending on your individual circumstances, you may be required to provide biometrics (fingerprints and photographs) as part of your visa application. This requirement can apply to both eTA and TRV applicants.
- Application Process: You can apply for an eTA or a TRV online through the official IRCC website. Ensure that you have all the necessary documents and information ready before starting your application.
Please remember that immigration policies can change over time, so it’s crucial to check the official IRCC website or consult the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date information and requirements for Irish citizens traveling to Canada.